Sunday, December 21, 2014

Recipe: Stuffed Zucchini

Evening everyone!  I hope you all have had a fantastic weekend.  Our's was absolutely crazy!  Lots of shopping and other errands, but I've got to say the highlight of my weekend, or not so much, was being one of approximately a million people standing in line at the post office Saturday morning trying to get our last packages out in time for Christmas!  Not my proudest moment, but everyone in line had the wonderful opportunity to be entertained my by toddler daughter, Hadley.  It was an experience for sure!  I think I can finally say we are ready for Christmas in the Hope Household, and I hope all of you can say the same!

Right now, I am curled up on the couch in front of the fire, watching Sunday Night Football. Go Seahawks!  What a great way to end a weekend! Before I head off to bed (Gotta get up early for my first day of TurboFire!), I wanted to share a recipe that I made today for lunch, stuffed Zucchini.  Both yellow squash and zucchini have been on sale the last couple weeks at the grocery store, and since we buy based on what's on sale, we have been consuming A LOT of squash recently.  I was looking for some new ways to enjoy this veggie and came across numerous recipes for stuffed zucchini.  After looking in the fridge to find some stuffing ingredients, I decided to do a Mexican style stuffed zucchini.  I think it turned out pretty good! Here is the recipe:

Stuffed Zuchinni
Yes, I know I need to work on my food photos, but don't let the pic fool you, they were awesome!


Ingredients

3 zucchini, cut in half length-wise
1 pound of ground turkey
half of a yellow onion, diced
1 cup of water
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
spices: cumin, mexican chili pepper, paprika, salt, pepper (to taste)

Directions

(1) Put ground turkey and diced onion in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Brown turkey.
(2) While turkey is browning, use a spoon to hollow out the zucchini, removing all seeds.  Also cut the stem and base off of each zucchini half.
(3) Set oven to 400 degrees.
(4) Once turkey has browned and onions are translucent, add 1 cup of water and seasoning to taste. (I used approximately 1tsp cumin and chili pepper, 1/2tsp paprika and black pepper, pinch of salt).  Stir to evenly coat turkey.  Lower heat to simmer, and reduce liquid (about 5 minutes).
(5) Once liquid has evaporate, spoon turkey into zucchini.  Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
(6) Sprinkle cheese on top of turkey and place back in the oven until melted (2-3 minutes).
(7) Enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment