Sunday, December 28, 2014

TurboFire: First Week Recap

Wow! This week has been absolutely crazy!  I feel like I need a weekend to recover from my weekend! Do any of you feel that way?  In hindsight, starting a brand new program the week of Christmas might not have been my best idea, but I'm kinda glad I did because it gave me a strong reason to make good decisions amidst the holiday temptations.  I was doing great Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday was supposed to be my rest day, but I was planning on doing Thursday's workout so that my rest day was on Christmas. Between last minute shopping, wrapping, and cooking, that didn't happen! Christmas was a jam packed day, of course, but so much fun!  I got back on track Friday, but wasn't feeling well yesterday or most of today. Ugh... what a week!  Highs, lows, and everything in between!  

I'm feeling better tonight, and ready to get back into it tomorrow, so I've decided to redo Week 1 of TurboFire.  I'm a completionist type of person. Type A all the way, so I wouldn't feel right just pushing forward, having missed half of my first week's workouts.  Even though I will be going back and re-doing week 1, I wanted to give you a review of the workouts I did complete: Fire 30, Stretch 10, and HIIT 15.
Fire 30:  This workout got me sweating!  There is an option when you start the workout to choose "new to class" where Chalene breaks down the sequences you will be doing in the workout.  I chose not to do the breakdown and just jump in trial by fire style.  I have a dance fitness background (was a Zumba instructor) and, though there was a learning curve for me during the workout, I feel like the sequences were easy to pick-up and you repeat them enough times to get them down pretty well.  Lots of punches, and some limited jumping. There are a few sets of burpees that took me by surprise, but they are totally doable!  All in all, I enjoyed this workout! My "punching" muscles were VERY sore the next couple days (the front of my shoulders and where my biceps meet my elbows).

Stretch10: This was an EXCELLENT stretch series! You do this same stretch workout after Fire 30 and HIIT 15.  It is very thorough, hits all the major muscle groups and relaxes tension in your neck and shoulders.  Highly Recommend!

HIIT 15:  I have to say, I had never experienced a HIIT workout before putting in this dvd, so I wasn't exactly sure what to expect.  My husband joined me for this workout, because as he said, "its only 15 minutes".  Haha, ONLY 15 minutes!  In that 15 minutes you complete a quick warm up and then 3 sets of 3 different HIIT Intervals that last about 45 seconds each, with a short break in between each interval.  There is a lot of jumping during this workout, so if you have weak knees, follow the modifier. I promise, you will still get a great workout!  I really wish my heart rate monitor was working so I could have measured the calories I burned during this workout, because I bet it was a ton.  My heart rate felt like it maxed out several times during the workout, and I could tell my metabolism remained high for a long time after my workout.  Even my husband remarked how hot he was temperature-wise several hours after we worked out. Higher temp = higher metabolism!  All in all, a good workout, and super short!
I am very much looking forward to tomorrow.  Here's to a fresh start in a brand new week! My clean eating challenge starts tomorrow and Week 1 Day 1, take 2 of TurboFire is going down.  Now I'm off to bed, so I can get up and get my workout in before the kiddo gets up! Night everyone!      

No comments:

Post a Comment